Did you know that real tequila always comes from sunny Jalisco in Mexico? That’s right. Just like Feta cheese can only come from Greece, Champagne can only come from France, and Rooibos tea can only come from right here in South Africa, tequila also enjoys legal protection of its origin.
And it makes all the sense, because a lot of work goes into making your tequila. In fact, it is one of the world’s most labour-intensive spirits to make.
Fear not, my friend! We’re going to show you how to drink it properly, so that when you do choose the right tequila, not only will you savour its sweet taste with a touch of smoke, but you’ll also down your shot of tequila so effortlessly. We can swear your satisfied smile will be the envy of your friends!
Ingredients for a Shot of Tequila
Like all recipes, to get the most out of it, you have to use quality ingredients in precisely the right amounts.
Here’s our easy but delightful recipe:
- Pinch of kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 1/2 ounces of Olmeca Gold Tequila
- Lime or lemon wedge
How to Take your Tequila Shot with Salt and Lime
Here’s a fun fact about tequila for you: doctors prescribed tequila with lime and salt as a way to ease symptoms during the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic. As you can see, any excuse is good for a shot of tequila!
Mexicans have for many a century known that a little sodium chloride on the tongue can help to alleviate the fiery flavour that characterises much of their food. For example, they use salt when eating chili peppers.
Likewise, citrus juices have long been used to subdue the potent aftertaste of strong alcohol and bring out its superior flavours.
If you also want to drink it the Mexican way, don’t miss any of these steps:
- Gather your ingredients.
- Lick the back of your hand between thumb and index finger and pour on a pinch of salt.
- Lick the salt. The salt lessens the burn of the tequila.
- Down your shot of tequila.
- Now suck on a lime or lemon wedge. The sour fruit balances and enhances the flavour of your Olmeca.
In short, lick, sip, and suck!
Tips to Make the Perfect Shot of Tequila
Now, while you may be tempted to throw caution to the wind and drink any shot of tequila, remember these tips:
- Avoid cheap brands. They will certainly give you a nasty hangover. Still, no premium tequila will save you from a heavy morning if you have too much. So, as difficult as it may be, pace yourself, and enjoy a lighter drink in between your rounds of tequila.
- Gold tequila is the best choice for tequila shots, as it is typically much smoother.
Tequila Shot Variations
Bored of tequila shots with lime and salt? As if! Still, here are a few other options:
- Give the lime and salt a miss and try an orange slice instead. Just shoot the tequila and suck on the orange. It’ll go down with the ease of an elevator.
- Add variety to your tequila shots by rimming the shot glass with a kaleidoscope of tastes. You can choose your own, but to give you a little inspiration, try plain or coloured sugar, or a 50-50 mix of cinnamon and sugar.
- Want something hot and tropical? Pair your shot of tequila with a wedge of pineapple and a dash of Tabasco!
Best Tequila for a Shot of Tequila
People pull all sorts of funny faces after drinking a shot of tequila. Gritting one’s teeth. Gasping for air. Grimacing brow. There’s even a name for it: Shot face! But that’s, quite simply, because they’re not doing it right. Or they’re drinking the wrong tequila.
Take a trip to Los Altos, on the highlands of Jalisco, Mexico. You’ll find a high quality gold tequila there. Can’t afford the flight? Too busy at work? Travel restrictions? No problem. Now it’s easy for you to enjoy our Olmeca Tequila at your next party!
So give your evening the best shot it has at becoming a legend of a night, and grab a bottle of Olmeca Gold. You’ll be smiling with satisfaction, and from ear to ear, in no time.