Tequila fire shots! Sounds incendiary! It is! We’re going to show you two recipes that’ll set your night alight.
First off, know that not all shots are created equal. Some go down easy peasy, while others can burn the house down. We’ll be talking about the latter here, so keep a fireman handy!
The origin of tequila shots is hazy. Some say the drink originated in the 1970s at a bar where patrons were forced to drink flaming shots as punishment for losing bets. It has even been suggested that people drank flaming tequilas when the lights went out. Cue load shedding jokes, South Africa!
Surprisingly though, there are functional reasons to set a cocktail on fire. It helps burn off some of the high-proof alcohol, and it caramelizes sugars. So, you’re left with a palatable drink with smoky hints and nuanced vanilla. But, of course, the main reason to set a drink on fire is that it looks cool!
Safety Directions Before Flaming a Shot
People have always been drawn to fire, from cavemen to cowboys. Even more so when you add booze to the mix! But you don’t want to go from the bar to the burns ward, so pay attention to these safety tips!
- If you light a cocktail on fire, be careful. Fire is hot, so if not drunk quickly, the glass will burn your hand.
- Don’t leave a shot burning for longer than it should. You don’t want exploding glass and liquid fire filling up your living room.
- Don’t set a flame to drink if you’re already drunk. If you do it at home, make sure it’s at the beginning of the night!
- Be sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand. This may sound like overkill but the quickest way to end a party is to set it on fire.
How to Make Flaming Shots
So, yes, consider yourself warned. Flaming shots can be dangerous. But, you say, to flaming hell with it, and decide to make them anyway.
Here’s what you will need:
- High proof alcohol
- Shot glass
Once you have all the ingredients ready:
- Pour high-proof alcohol into a shot glass. The higher the proof of the alcohol, the easier it is to light alcohol on fire. Between 100 and 150 proof is recommended.
- Light the alcohol with the lighter and let it burn for a few seconds.
- Make sure you extinguish the flame and check the shot is not on fire anymore.
- Drink it down!
The Best Flaming Shots with Tequila
Tequila has set the world on fire since the very first Mexican drank it. So, it’s no wonder that tequila goes so well aflame, and why you should be lining up to try it.
Flaming Tequila Shot
A roaring fire. What goes better at a great party than a welcoming fireplace? A Flaming Tequila Shot, of course! Gather round and we’ll share the best (and safest) way to add some fuel to your party.
The Flaming Tequila Shot is one of the most popular flaming shots. It’s about 4 out of 10 on strength, takes 3 minutes to make, and at only 156 calories per Flaming Tequila Shot, it won’t take you long to burn it off in the gym!
So here’s how you do it.
- 3 oz Olmeca
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 1/2 oz triple sec
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- Pour the Olmeca, triple sec, lime juice and agave syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain the mixture into a shot glass.
- Light the contents of the shot glass with a lighter. Watch that glorious flaming effect. Down the hatch it goes.
Flaming Lime Drop Shot
Here’s a recipe that’ll have you saying “Goodnight, Daddy!” after a few of them! The Flaming Lime Drop Shot is however a sophisticated way to enjoy your favourite tipple.
- 3 oz. (90ml) Olmeca
- 1 1/2 oz. (45ml) Triple Sec
- 1 oz. (30ml) Lime Juice
- 1 Tsp Agave Syrup
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 oz. (15ml) Bacardi 151
- Lime Slices
- Sugar Cube
- Mix the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and agave syrup in an ice filled cocktail shaker.
- Shake well and strain the liquid into shot glasses.
- Dip your lime slice in salt and place it on the top of your shot glass.
- Balance the sugar cube on the lime slice and pour a dash of Olmeca on top.
- Light the sugar cube and, once it’s caramelised, blow out the flame.
- Fold the lime slice dropping both that and the sugar cube into the shot.
- Shoot. And watch it score!
Best Tequila For Flaming Shooters
There’s only one choice for a tequila that’ll truly set your world on fire and that’s, of course, Olmeca Silver, made in the Los Altos highlands of Jalisco, in Mexico. So get lighting those shots, and fire up your party!