Oysters are a world-famous aphrodisiac so why not combine them with a nice tequila to create a drink that you and your friends will lust after. We’ve got your wild romp of a night covered with the ultimate Tequila Oyster Shooters recipe!
The Oyster Shooter, a crowd-pleaser on the West Coast of the States, has quite a history. It originated in a San Francisco restaurant around 1860. Legend has it that a gold miner, with his pockets overflowing with gold nuggets, fancied a celebration with his newly acquired wealth. Sitting down in the restaurant, he asked the waiter to bring him a plate of California raw oysters with some spicy seasonings and a tequila.
After drinking the tequila, he put the oysters into the glass, added the condiments, and hey presto! The Tequila Oyster Shooter was born! Needless to say, the cocktail was an instant hit and, within a week, every restaurant in San Francisco was serving it!
Today, oysters are a lavish appetizer for all seafood lovers, and a Tequila Oyster Shooter is a great way to start a meal or a party. Enjoy them with cocktails, other delicious appetizers, or on their own.
And, as we’ve just said, since oysters have long been considered an aphrodisiac, they also make an unforgettable start to a romantic meal for two!
Ingredients for Tequila Oyster Shooters
The trick to making the perfect Tequila Oyster Shooter is to use the right ingredients, and, crucially, the freshest of fresh oysters!
These are the things you’ll need*:
- Lime wedges
- Coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 raw oysters in a half shell
*This is for a recipe of six Tequila Oyster Shooters so if you want to make more or less, adjust accordingly.
How to Make This Tequila Oyster Shooters Recipe
Oysters can be on the expensive side, so you don’t want to be wasting them. Fear not! We’ve got you covered with this deliciously erotic Oyster Shots with tequila recipe:
- Rub lime wedges around the rims of 6 shooter glasses.
- Place salt in a small and shallow dish.
- Dip the rim of glasses into the salt to coat.
- Combine Olmeca Tequila, lime juice, hot sauce and sugar.
- Stir the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Place the oysters into your shot glasses.
- Pour in tequila mixture.
- Drink, and fall in love with this sexy drink!
Tips to Make Perfect Mexican Oyster Shooters
One of the most attractive traits people find in their partners is confidence. So, embrace these tricks so you can prepare your best Oyster Shooter recipe like a pro, and you’ll woo them madly!
- Opening or shucking oysters can be daunting even for the best of us! And especially so because you need a special knife for the task. So buy the oysters from your favourite fish market already open and on the half-shell.
- If you’re planning a night of love, and have plenty more to do, you can make your Tequila Oyster shooters ahead of time. Just be sure to keep everything refrigerated and place the shot glasses on a bed of ice.
- For an attractive presentation, garnish each shot with a fresh lemon wedge.
- Have lots of friends and lovers? Don’t worry if you don’t have enough shot glasses. Prepare the ones you do have and set out the leftover ingredients, with the oysters in their shells on ice. This way, your guests can help themselves to a second round once they’ve loved their first.
Oyster Shooters Variations
To misquote the famous bard, Shakespeare, “if oyster shooters are the food of love, drink on”. And if you’re going to do that, you’re going to need delicious variations to your oyster shots with tequila.
Here are some ideas:
- For extra passion, add horseradish to your cocktail or even a dash of your favourite hot sauce.
- To go a little milder, use tomato juice rather than the spicy cocktail mix.
- Use Bloody Mary mix instead of the spicy mix, as a fun twist on everyone’s best brunch cocktail.
Best Tequila for Oyster Shooters
Oysters are a real treat for your body and mind! So you don’t want to ruin the experience by using the wrong tequila!
We’ve been passionate about our tequilas for decades, and you can feel it in our Olmeca Tequila. And, if there’s one quality you want in an Oyster Shooter, it’s passion, the finest quality, and the smoothest taste.
Hailing from Los Altos highlands of Jalisco, Mexico, it carries a naturally sweet freshness to make romantic moments even more so.
Go on then! Discover your lust for this aphrodisiac of a cocktail. Grab yourself a bottle of Olmeca Silver Tequila, some oysters, and woo the one you want!